Do you know you inherit more than property and jewellery from your ancestors?
You inherit genes. Transfer of genes from one generation to another is called genetic inheritance.
The process of transferring genes from one generation to another:
- Knowing and understanding your genetic inheritance enables you to see how some health conditions and traits are passed on in your family. You inherit one copy of your genes from your mother and one copy from your father, therefore two copies of almost every gene.
- Changes in genes can change their functioning. These changes can be understood through single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). In case of changes that are called genetic mutations, gene functioning can be affected and can lead to a disease.
- Having a genetic mutation doesn’t necessarily mean that the disease will develop. This happens because gene expression is influenced not only by your genes but your environment as well.
Why should you understand your genetic inheritance?
Understanding your genetic inheritance patterns is good to know how a disease is transmitted down in your family. These genetic patterns help in predicting these disease risks for you. A genetic test can give you a complete report of your predisposed health conditions, traits, physical training, nutrition, fitness, and habits. When you have such a report in your hand, you have all the secrets to maintaining your good health. Apart from that, you can also use this report to:
- Personalize your lifestyle according to what is required by your body
- Know what diseases you are predisposed to
- Customize your health checkup plans according to your health risks
- Modify your nutrition and supplement intake according to your deficiencies and suitability
- Plan your physical trainings according to your own endurance strength
- Take preventive actions for the diseases that you have risk for in consultation with your doctor
Your Health is a product of your Genetics and your Lifestyle. You can’t change your genetics but understand it to make changes in your lifestyle to live a better life. Know more about genetic testing here.