Lung Cancer Prevention through Genetic Testing - Does It Work?
Although smoking - both first hand and passive - is the main cause of lung cancer, there are many who suffer from lung cancer without any exposure to cigarette smoke. This is because of the genes inherited through family - your genetics can also increase your risk for lung cancer.
Influence of genetics on the risk of lung cancer
Having a case of lung cancer in the family - parent, or sibling who had lung cancer - increases your vulnerability to it. Your genes carry all the instructions of your body’s functions. They also control the growth and division of your cells. Any change in these instructions is called mutation. In such a situation, cells start dividing uncontrollably and form tumors.
How does genetic testing help in preventing lung cancer
Not only the genetic variant in certain genes raises your risk for lung cancer, the length of time and number of cigarettes smoked also counts as a risk factor. Understanding your genetic traits and predispositions can help you in preventing your chances of developing lung cancer. These are the benefits of getting a genetic test:
- It reports your likelihood of developing certain diseases including lung cancer
- Informs you about the food you should be eating, and what you should avoid
- Reports the kind of exercise you should do to maintain your health/weight
- Empowers you to personalize your lifestyle according to what actually suits your body
- Helps you and your physician customize your screening tests
What to do if your genetic test report indicates a high likelihood of lung cancer?
- Keep a check on the signs and symptoms of lung cancer
- Consult the frequency of these screening tests to detect it at an early stage:
- Lung x-ray
- Sputum cytology
- Tissue sample biopsy
- Chest CT scan
Follow these lifestyle modifications:
- Consume more fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Increase your intake of antioxidants
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Take proper precautions in areas that have high air pollution
Your genetic test report can be your guide for a lifetime for maintaining your health. Personalizing your lifestyle and following the recommendations of your expert genetic counsellor helps you in improving your health and quality of life. Book your genetic test kit now, and get your genetic test report, all from the comfort of your home.