Genetic Testing Pros And Cons
Genetic testing is the method to decode your genes using high end technology and proving a report with the findings. Your genes are the blueprint of your life and hence genetic testing is an insightful tool to know your risks for certain health conditions. With just a sample of your saliva, you can decode your body’s genetic responses and understand possible future health problems ranging from cancer to Alzheimer's.
Every individual receives 50% genetic material from each parent, hence two siblings, or even twins have different genetic builds. That makes genetic testing to be taken by each individual to know their body’s genetic responses.
Let’s analyse some of the pros and cons of a direct to consumer genetic test.
The benefits of genetic testing:
- You become more aware of yourself and your body
- You get an idea of the genetic diseases and health conditions you are likely to develop
- You get personalized information about your health, nutrition, habits, endurance and other traits
- You receive genetics based recommendations to personalize your lifestyle by modifying your food and exercise habits
- It helps you become proactive about living a healthy life
- You can personalize your health checkups based on your results
- You don’t need a healthcare provider’s approval for getting a genetic test
- It is inexpensive, non-invasive, easy and can be taken at home by all family members irrespective of their age
The risks and limitations of genetic testing:
- It cannot definitively tell whether you will develop a particular health condition, it only tells the risk levels
- May not report some traits that are of interest to you
- You might discover some unexpected information that might upset you
- Some understanding, if not conveyed properly can be inaccurate or incomplete and can cause misconceptions
- Your genetic test report may trigger sadness, anxiousness or anger
What you need to focus on is that a direct to consumer genetic test only provides genetic information about your health. Other factors like the environmental and your lifestyle choices also come into play in determining your health. Just remember, you can live a healthy life by modifying your lifestyle habits according to your genetics. Know how you can personalize your lifestyle with the help of your genetic test report.