Hand Grip Strength Impacts on Athletic Performance
Hand grip strength is an important topic, especially for athletes and sport performers. Hand grip strength is connected with improving one’s performance and strength. It involves sports like - baseball, basketball, javelin throw, judo, racquet sports, weightlifting, wrestling, etc.
As it is very important for sport performers, there are programs that are dedicated for hand grip training. Strength training coaches plan and monitor progress, and guide for rehabilitation training of the hands, forearms, and the surrounding muscles.
Anatomy of the hand
Our hand’s anatomical system comprises of 27 bones along with 15 joints. They have about 30 degrees of rotational and translational movement to hold, apply force and do other things. Most of the sports include grasping, holding and applying force.
Factors that influence hand grip strength
- Hand size
- Grip span
- Position of the shoulder, forearm and wrist
Hand grip strength versus forearm strength
Hand grip is made from the strength of each finger and also the thumb. Both forearm strength and hand grip are important for playing sports. Each finger has an impact on the hand grip strength. That’s why training the flexion and extension of the fingers through many ranges of motion is easier than forearm training.
But how to know if your hand grip is strong enough?
Gripping or holding things is an everyday thing. Then how would you know how your hand grip strength is or the likelihood of your hand grip strength in the future? It is important to know about your hand grip - for example - if you are a sport performer who requires forearm strength through your grip, you must be training your hand grip, including your fingers’ strength. In case you have low hand grip strength, your exercise and strength training should include strengthening your grip.
Hand Grip Strength – Is It an Indicator of Genetic Fitness?
According to new research, about 65% grip strength is genetically determined and remaining 35% strength depends on the factors like nutrition, training and physical development. Hand grip strength (HGS) is one of the indicators of overall fitness. Most of the people are not aware about the hand grip strength connection to genes but according to research and study, expert says there is big role of genes in hand grip strength.
Knowing your hand grip strength is very important if you are looking your career in sport, athletic and gymnastic. Now days it is very easy to identify your muscle strength and hand grip strength with simple genetic testing and it will help you to build your career path in a right way.
Simple process of genetic testing is - you can order one at home, provide your saliva sample, and within a few days, you’ll get a genetic report that outlines your genetic hand grip strength along with other important health, fitness and nutrition factors. Free doctor counselling will be provide to guide and provide better solutions based on your genetic test reports
What kind of sport performers should get a genetic test done?
- Sports that use - club, bat, racket, ball
- Water sports
- Combat sports
Want to know more about how to train better by understanding your genetics? Click here.