All You Need To Know About Phenytoin Drug
When you or a loved one are hit, with a neurological disorder like getting fits or epilepsy, life can feel as though a dense fog has settled on it. Epilepsy is a chronic and sensitive condition, and there are a lot of daily challenges that you may face, but you can certainly take control of it. Treatment, medicines, care, and support are necessary for living your life with epilepsy.
What is epilepsy?
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder. The patient experiences abnormal brain activity. It causes periods of unusual behaviour or recurrent seizures. The patient may experience a loss of awareness and sensation. Epilepsy affects men and women of all ages, races, and, ethnic backgrounds. Symptoms of a seizure can vary widely from person to person Sometimes it may include staring blankly for a few seconds during a seizure, while others experience twitching in their arms or legs. Treatment can control seizures for the majority of people with epilepsy. Some people may require lifelong treatment to control seizures, while some people become seizures free eventually. Sometimes surgery is required. in most cases, medicines do the work. Phenytoin is a popular drug that helps control epilepsy.
What is Phenytoin?
Phenytoin is a medicinal class of anticonvulsants an anti-epileptic drug. Phenytoin works by reducing impulses in the brain that cause seizures. It is beneficial for the prevention of seizures. The work of Phenytoin is to control the seizure. It decreases abnormal electrical activity in the brain. It is used to treat certain types of seizures and prevent seizures that may occur during or after surgery of the brain or nervous system. Phenytoin is primarily used to control seizures not treat them. It is also beneficial to treat
• Cardiac Arrhythmia
How is Phenytoin available?
Phenytoin is available in extended-release Capsules, tablets, and in liquid form.
Common brand names in which Phenytoin is available are
• Epsolin by Zydus Cadila Healthcare Ltd
• Atoin by La Pharmaceuticals
• Eptoin by Abbott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd
• Dilantin by Pfizer Parke Davis
• Epileptin by Indian Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
How to take Phenytoin?
• Take Phenytoin as directed by your doctor
• Follow all instructions when the dose is titrated or tapered.
• Phenytoin is taken orally (by mouth) usually 2-3 times per day or as directed by the physician.
• It is beneficial to take it at a fixed time every day, with or without a meal, as suggested by your doctor.
• The oral dosage form (extended-release capsules and tablets) is 100 milligrams (mg) 3 times a day or 300 mg once a day. Take the capsule or tablet as a whole. Do not crush or chew it.
• The oral dosage form (suspension) is 5 millilitres (mL) or one teaspoonful 3 times a day.
• Never double the dose even if you miss a dose.
Precautions Before starting Phenytoin
Phenytoin is not for you if you are allergic to it. Phenytoin is a prescription-only medicine and you have to be sure it is safe for you. You should inform your doctor of your entire medical history and the drugs and supplements you consume. Tell your doctor if you have any of the following
• Heart problems
• Liver problems
• Depression related problems
• Suicidal thoughts
• A condition that causes thinning of the bones;
• An Asian ancestry, which is related to the skin problems that you may face after consuming the drug
• Inform your doctor if you are pregnant.
• Never alter the dose and never stop taking the medicine without consulting your doctor.
Your doctor will regularly check your progress at every visit, so try not to miss an appointment. Your family will play an important role in helping you get through it, making sure they know of your medicine routine and that they are alert to sense any changes they may notice.
Side effects of Phenytoin
Phenytoin can cause some side effects like most medicines. Some of the side effects are seen commonly and do not always need medical attention. As phenytoin is a prescription-only drug, make sure you are alert to any unwanted or severe side effects, you may experience. You need to discuss it with your doctor as soon as possible.
Common side effects of Phenytoin include
• Uncontrollable eye movements
• Abnormal body movements
• Loss of coordination
• Slurred speech
• Changes in sense of taste
• Unwanted hair growth
• Coarsening of facial features
• Enlargement of lips
• Overgrowth of gums
• Pain or curving of the penis
Some severe side effects associated with Phenytoin
• Swollen glands
• Yellowing of the skin or eyes
• Pain in the upper right part of the stomach
• Excessive tiredness
• Unusual bruising or bleeding
• Small red coloured or purple-coloured spots on the skin
• Loss of appetite
• Flu-like symptoms
• Fever, sore throat, rash, mouth ulcers, easy bruising, or facial swelling
• Dizziness, tiredness, irregular heartbeat, or chest pain
• Shortness of breath
In any event, if you experience any of these side effects, you should call your doctor immediately. Your close ones and family play a crucial role, they must be aware of the changes and the effects, you may experience. They can call for medical help in case necessary.
Is Phenytoin suitable for you?
Life, with chronic illness, has many challenges, but that doesn't mean you are not in control of your life. You can take the necessary steps and lead a close-to-normal life. Science today has many medical boons to offer, which help us take control of our lives to lead healthy lives. Pharmacogenetics is one such medical boon that has made precision medicine easy. It is the study of your genes. It tells you the impact of genes on the drugs you take. Genes make you unique, and genes are the ones that decide your response to different medicines. With pharmacogenetics, it has become easy for the doctor to prescribe the most effective and exact drugs to treat diseases. Indus Health Plus has accessible and affordable MEDNAwise pharmacogenetic testing. MEDNAwise helps you and your doctor know about any disease susceptibility you may have. Drug tolerability and your drug acceptance. MEDNAwise enhances your life and helps you live better. Anyone can take this test. It is a perfect way to know the best-suited medicine for you.
MEDNAwise test predicts your response to 70+ drugs of varied specialties. It can also help you know if Phenytoin suits you.MEDNAwise decreases the chances of therapeutic failure and reduces the risk of adverse drug reactions. You and your doctor can make an informed decision, MEDNAwise pharmacogenetic testing can save you from adverse drug reactions and saves you time and money as well. A simple spit swab test from your home is all you need to do. Genetic counsellors help with future medical plans once the tests are out. Get this test at your doorstep. Call Indus Health Plus today. MEDNAwise is the personalized test for you. Be a step ahead and secure your future health.