Is Risperidone Effective Drug For You?
Schizophrenia can easily win the most complicated disease award. It can manifest in different ways for different individuals. Since the disease is not visible, it is hard for the patient to communicate and express what they are going through. With a wide range of symptoms from a catastrophic breakdown to seclusion, schizophrenia has a broad spectrum.
The patient’s behaviour is random and often not predictable. A person who has to live with Schizophrenia finds life very difficult. We may see the person be perfectly alright but that is only from the outside, there is a mental problem that is often not seen. Schizophrenic people are not strong mentally but regular therapy and care make their daily life better.
Schizophrenia is a chronic brain disorder. People tend to lose touch with the current situation and interpret the real situation differently. Their perception is far from reality and it may not always be pleasant. They are often out of touch with reality. They may hallucinate and feel things that are not present in reality. They may experience delusions, disorderly thinking, and behaviour. The overall impact is that their daily life is impaired and routine functionality can be disabled.
The sorry state of mental disorder interrupts their Behavioural ability (social isolation, disorganized behaviour), Cognitive ability (thought disorder, delusion, amnesia, etc.), and, psychological aspects (hallucination, paranoia, hearing voices, etc.) The patient may even experience sudden mood changes. People with schizophrenia require lifelong treatment. A good combination of help, medicines, therapy and treatment can help the patient to deal with the condition better and lead a better life.
What is Risperidone?
Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic drug. Its mechanism is to change the action of certain chemical messengers in the brain that affect thoughts. Other than Schizophrenia, Risperidone is prescribed in adults and teenagers 13 years of age and older. It is also beneficial for treating Maniac Disorder, Bipolar Disorder in adults, teenagers, and children 10 years of age. Risperidone is useful to treat behaviour problems such as mood changes, aggression, and sometimes self-injury in autistic children and teenagers (5 to 16 years).
How is Risperidone available?
Risperidone is available as a liquid solution, a tablet form, and also, a disintegrating tablet that dissolves in the mouth.
It is available on prescription at medical stores under varied brand names.
Popular brand names for Risperidone
· Sizodon (Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd)
· Risdone (Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd)
· Risperdal Consta (Janssen Pharmaceuticals)
· Rispond (Micro Labs Ltd)
· Respidon (Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd)
· Risdone MT (Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd)
· Risnia (Cipla Ltd)
· Risperdal (Janssen Pharmaceuticals)
· Ristab (Medopharm)
· Riscon (Consern Pharma Limited)
Precautions Before taking Risperidone
You must inform your doctor if you are on any kind of medicine such as any antidepressants, antifungal medicine, or medicine for any kind of neurological disorder.
Discuss your medical history with the doctor. Tell about your family medical history for better understanding.
Tell your doctor:
· If you had or are currently facing any kind of cardiac disorder
· If you have undergone any surgery
· If you are pregnant
· You consume alcohol, tobacco, or smoke
· If you have bleeding problems
· You have abnormal blood pressure
· You have bone problems
· You have a family history of diabetes or have it.
It is advised to inform your doctor if you are allergic to any medicines, especially tricyclic antidepressants, or any SSRIs,
Inform your doctor if you had taken Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) in the last few days. Inform your doctor if you are taking any kind of medicine especially, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI), anticoagulants, medicine for any kind of neurological disorder, sedatives, etc. Risperidone may make you drowsy, hence, it is advised to not drive after taking Risperidone.
How to take Risperidone and the Dosage?
Take the medicine as instructed by the doctor and the same dosage as prescribed. The doctor can alter the dosage as and when required, depending upon the response and other factors.
For oral dosage form (solution, tablets, or orally disintegrating tablets)
For bipolar disorder:
· In adults, the initial dose is 2 to 3 milligrams (mg) once a day. However, the maximum dose is not more than 6 mg per day.
· In older adults, the initial dose is 0.5 mg 2 times a day. However, the maximum dose is not more than 6 mg per day.
· In children 10 to 17 years of age, the initial dose is 0.5 mg once a day, in the morning or evening. However, the maximum dose is not more than 6 mg per day.
· In children younger than 10 years of age, the dosage and the use both are decided by the doctor.
For irritability associated with autistic disorder
· In children, 5 to 16 years of age weighing 20 kilograms (kg) or greater, the initial dose is 0.5 milligrams (mg) per day.
· In children 5 to 16 years weighing less than 20 kg, the initial dose is 0.25 mg per day.
· In children younger than 5 years of age, the use and dosage are decided by the doctor.
· In adults, the initial dose is 2 milligrams (mg) per day. Though, the maximum dose is never more than 16 mg per day.
· In older adults, the initial dose is 0.5 mg 2 times a day.
· In children 13 to 17 years of age, the initial dose is 0.5 mg once a day, in the morning or evening. However, the maximum dose is not more than 6 mg per day.
· In children younger than 13 years of age, the use and the dose are decided by the doctor.
Side Effects of Risperidone
Side effects are a common phenomenon when you take any medicine. These are unwanted effects produced by the drug along with the desired effects. In most cases, the benefits are much more than the side effects.
The doctor always weighs the situation before prescribing medicine and the dose. It may be possible that you experience some side effects, if these are not very severe you can discuss them with your doctor in the next scheduled appointment.
Some common side effects
· Nausea, vomiting
· Diarrhoea, constipation
· Dry mouth, increased saliva
· Increased appetite, weight gain
· Stomach pain
· Anxiety, agitation, restlessness
· Dreaming more than usual
· Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
· Breast enlargement or discharge
· Late or missed menstrual periods
· Decreased sexual ability
· Vision problems
· Muscle or joint pain
· Dry or discoloured skin
· Difficulty urinating
· Dizziness, feeling unsteady or having trouble keeping your balance
If the person modifies the dosage of the drug or consumes it for a prolonged period or longer than advised by the doctor, there can be some serious side.
Severe Side Effects of Risperidone
· muscle stiffness, falling
· fast or irregular pulse, sweating
· unusual movements of your face or body that you cannot control
· slow movements or shuffling walk
· Rash, hives, itching
· difficulty breathing or swallowing
· painful erection of the penis that lasts for hours
If you experience any of these symptoms, please seek emergency medical advice and contact your doctor immediately.
How to know if Risperidone is for you?
Risperidone is a drug that helps schizophrenic people lead normal lives. It is therefore crucial to know if the drug works effectively for the patient. In the olden days the process to find out the most suitable drug could take a long time, but today you can instantly know the correct drug for you.
The MEDNAwise pharmacogenetic test from Indus Health Plus is a sure-shot way to know the medicines that would give you faster and more effective results.You may know that genes are responsible for the response your body has toward most drugs. MEDNAwise tests these genes and finds out your body’s response to over 70+ drugs across medical specialties.
Drugs and their usage are important for efficient treatment and results. With the MEDNAwise test, your doctor knows what suits you and which drug would have the least side effects. It is a whole new world of personalized treatment solutions. MEDNAwise is an affordable and convenient test. You can do it all by yourself at home. All you need to do is, collect your saliva sample and send it for testing. Once the results are out the genetic counsellors help interpret the results and gives recommendations. The results of this test can be reused anytime in the future, whenever the need arises.
MEDNAwise test is a stress-free solution to good health!
It is time to improve your lifestyle and stay healthy, sign up for the MEDNAwise test today!