Heart Attack Facts & Awareness
How many of us have had really bad memories with this word "heart attack". Heart attack is a common word and there are many myths or confusions regarding it. The best way for heart attack awareness is to know everything you need to know about it. In India, approx. 25% of the families have heart patients. India has the highest rate of heart attacks in the world.
Heart Attack Facts
- The 1st and the most important fact is you can develop a Heart Attack without any evident symptoms. This condition is also known as a silent heart attack and commonly seen in people who have diabetes or elderly (more than 75 years)
- Women under the age of 50 are at twice the risk of dying due to the heart attack than men of the same age.
- Globally, the cost related for management and treatment of heart attack is 60 billion dollars annually.
- Approximately half of the heart attacks occur if left untreated for 1 hour.
Another alarming fact in the recent times is that heart attacks can affect the younger generation as well.
Reasons for Heart Attack
Generally, the heart attack is caused by deposition of fatty and calcified plaque in the coronary arteries which hinder the flow of the blood flow is the main reason for heart attack. Some contributing factors that can lead to heart attacks are:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Sedentary lifestyle
Tests to Diagnose Heart Attacks
Some of the primary tests to determine the diagnosis of heart attack are
ECG can reveal the extent of the damage and the specific area of the heart that has been damaged.
Echocardiograms which are an ultrasound test can evaluate the functioning of the heart and provides information if there is tissue damage.
The heart enzymes can gradually escape in your blood stream when the heart is damaged due to a heart attack.
Other Tests include:
- Coronary catheterization/angiography
- Exercise stress test
- Cardiac computerized tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Effects of Heart Attack on Body
- It affects the normal blood flow to the body
- Decreased oxygen levels
- Without prompt and proper medical help, the patient can suffer long-term organ damage
- It may result in irregular or abnormal rhythm
- It may lead to heart rupture or myocardial rupture
- It can cause pericarditis
The take away message considering the heart attack facts. are, heart attacks require immediate medical help. With this, the uncalled fatalities can be prevented. We all should make a conscious choice of opting for a regular essential heart checkup for a complete heart health status and also because this comprehensive checkup helps in the early diagnosis of any probable fatal heart conditions.
Are you looking to modify your lifestyle and habits to improve the quality of your life? Answer simple questions related to your Immunity, Fitness, Nutrition, Health and Habits check your health assessment. View More
Was This Article Helpful?