Sonomammography (Ultrasound of Breast)
Sonomammography or breast ultrasound is a non-invasive procedure performed to assess the breasts and the blood flow to areas inside it. This test allows quick visualization of the breast tissue. The examination is often done along with mammography (x-ray of breast tissue) to study a mass or lump.
Who requires it?
A breast ultrasound or sonomammography is recommended for women,
- When a breast lump (mass) or a general lumpiness is felt in the breast
- To determine if the abnormality detected through mammography or a palpable lump is a fluid-filled cyst or a solid tumour
- Breast tissue is too dense to be assessed accurately by mammography
- In high risk patients with family history of breast cancer, past history of breast cancer or in females older than 35 years of age as a preventive measure to screen for breast cancer
- Additional method to evaluate the breast, when mammography is not so clear
How it is done?
- Unlike mammography, sonomammography can be performed anytime during the menstrual cycle with no special preparation.
- Being a simple ultrasound procedure, it does not require much groundwork. The person to be examined lies down on examining table. Radiologist applies a gel on the breast area and with uses a special probe (linear, high frequency probe) to scan the whole chest area and armpits for any lump or mass.
There are several plus points to this test, such as it is
- Quick & non-invasive
- Does not require any prior preparation
- Useful for evaluating breast masses
- Identifies if a suspicious mass is a cyst (fluid-filled sac) without even placing a needle into it to aspirate fluid
Sonomammography is an imaging technique. It is used to examine and screen for cancer or/and other breast abnormalities. Life-threatening diseases like breast cancer can be easily detected in the routine examinations. A preventive health check-up such as fitness health checkup by Indus Health Plus can help you maintain your overall health and detect any serious health issues. Contact us and our team will connect with you to solve your queries.