Sonomammography (Ultrasound of Breast) Sonomammography or ultrasound of the breast is a non-invasive procedure performed to check the health of breasts and the blood flow to areas inside it. It is an imaging technique that is used to examine and screen for cancer or/and other breast abnormalities. This test allows quick visualization of the breast tissue. The examination is often done along with mammography (x-ray of breast tissue) to study a mass or lump.
When should you get Sonomammography done?
A breast ultrasound or sonomammography is recommended:
- When a breast lump (mass) or a general lumpiness is felt in the breast
- To determine if the abnormality detected through mammography or a palpable lump is a fluid-filled cyst or a solid tumour
- If breast tissue is too dense to be assessed accurately by mammography
- In high risk patients with family history of breast cancer, past history of breast cancer or in females older than 35 years of age as a preventive measure to screen for breast cancer
- Additional method to evaluate the breast, when mammography is not so clear
How is it done?
- Unlike mammography, sonomammography can be performed anytime during the menstrual cycle with no special preparation
- Being a simple ultrasound procedure, it doesn’t require much groundwork. The person to be examined lies down on the examining table. Radiologist applies a gel on the breast area and uses a special probe (linear, high frequency probe) to scan the whole chest area and armpits for any lump or mass
Advantages of Sonomammography:
- Quick & non-invasive
- Doesn’t require any prior preparation
- Useful for evaluating breast masses
- Identifies if a suspicious mass is a cyst (fluid-filled sac) without even placing a needle into it to aspirate fluid
Breast cancer is a life-threatening disease that can be easily detected in such routine health examinations. Early detection of breast cancer aids in a successful treatment and recovery. Preventive Health Check-ups such as fitness health checkup by Indus Health Plus can help you maintain your overall health and detect any serious underlying health conditions. Know more about how regular health checkups can assist you in being healthy and happy.