Work-life balance involves juggling with workplace related stress, daily pressures of family, friends, and self. Modern employees demand greater control over their lives and a bigger say in the structure of their jobs.
The goal of office ergonomics is to look into employee wellness and set up your office work space so that it fits you and the job you are doing. By applying ergonomic principles to the office setting, risk factors are minimized, productivity is increased, and overall workplace quality is improved. Office ergonomics can help you be more comfortable at work. It can help lower stress and injury caused by awkward positions and repetitive tasks. It focuses on how things are set up in your office work space.
Healthy Initiatives in the Workplace:
This World Health Day 2018, employers can promote work-life balance in the office without compromising productivity in the following ways:
- Hands, wrists and forearms need to be straight, in-line and parallel to the floor. The head needs to be level or slightly bent forward in line with the trunk. Elbows are bent at 90° to 120° and kept close to the body.
- Place the monitor between 20 and 40 inches away from your face. Desk height needs to be at elbow height with feet flat on the floor or foot rest.
- You can encourage your employees to maintain workplace fitness for a little healthy competition and motivation.
- Moving around throughout your workday is really important.
- Invest in an ergonomic desk chair that supports correct posture. Hunching over a computer is a leading cause of back pain.
- Bringing nature into your office can be a great way to inspire creativity and a feeling of wellness.
- Give your employees the option to work remotely when they really need, that requires them to make up time later.
- The perfect complement to working remotely is also offering flexible scheduling.
- Create a quiet space in your office where employees can take a mental break when they need to.
- Long periods of time spent on computer, with exhaustion can lead to eyes becoming tired or swollen. Try to give your eyes a 20 sec break every 20 minutes.
By following these few office ergonomics, give your employees a healthy makeover and thereby, protect your workforce from strain and pain. Get a corporate health checkup or a wellness program and further assess the health status of your organization. Get connected with us today to know more.