Are you Neglecting the Signs of Heart Failure?
Are you aware of the condition which is exceedingly common in India affecting over 10 million people per year? It's Heart failure. Heart failure means that heart isn't functioning properly and is not able to pump enough blood to the body. It is like a tired employee who cannot keep up with his workload. Being vitally important to just about everything that gives your body life, heart should in no way be ignored!
Let Us See Some Alarming Statistics From India:
- Heart disease is onto becoming an epidemic in India with approximately 30 million heart patients and 2 lakh surgeries being performed every year
- The grim situation is such that 2.4 million Indians are dying due to heart diseases every year and it is estimated to account for 35.9% deaths by the year 2030
- The younger generation and those living in urban areas are more prone
- Having diabetes and hypertension, both of which are so common in today's world, are the leading causes for growing heart failure in India
Congestive Heart Failure Signs:
With no cure for it presently, in no case should the early signs be ignored since "Heart Matters". Check if you experiencing more than one of these following signs, if yes, please make an appointment with your healthcare professional to clear all doubts and take required action as soon as possible.
Those with heart failure will experience shortness of breath during activity, at rest or while sleeping which may be sudden to the extent of even waking you up from sleep. It may be accompanied with chest pain or discomfort
Constant Coughing Or Wheezing:
Coughing which produces white or pink mucus that is blood-tinged, should be checked
Edema (Excess fluid build-up):
Feet, ankles, legs are swollen and there is also some weight gain
Although it is a very sensitive indicator of congestive heart failure, it is a non-specific symptom which might be caused by some other medical condition as well. There is a feeling of tiredness all the time and also difficulty in completing everyday activities too
Loss of Appetite:
Feeling of being full or sick in the stomach where the patient doesn't feel eating anything
Feeling of confusion, disorientation or memory loss
Increased Heart Rate:
Feeling that your heart is racing or throbbing
Heart Failure Symptoms in Men:
Men are more prone to heart failure than women and also may have it earlier in life than compared to women. Symptoms in men include:
- Congested lungs and chest pain
- Retention of fluid and water
- Dizziness, fatigue, and weakness
- Rapid or irregular heartbeats
- Abdominal discomfort
Heart Failure Symptoms in Women:
The symptoms in women can be quiet different than in men. The most frequently reported symptoms did not include chest pain at all.
Symptoms in women include:
- Unusual fatigue which lasts for several days or sudden severe fatigue
- Disturbances in sleep
- Shortness of breath
- Indigestion or gas-like pain
- Upper back, shoulder, or throat pain
- Pressure or pain in the center of your chest, that radiates to your arm
As they say, prevention is better than cure, so why wait to be diagnosed with heart issues, take charge and lead a healthy life for a healthy heart.
- Leading a heart-healthy lifestyle and controlling existing health problems if any like high blood pressure and diabetes, are the key to prevent heart failure.
- Don't smoke so as to reduce your risk, and there, you are sorted.
To put it in a nutshell, if you remain active, eat a well-balanced diet and keep yourself stress-free, you are on your way to keep your heart healthy and free from the risk of heart failure. Also, if you seem to notice any signs of fatigue or breathless, don't overlook and get heart checkup package. To know more about heart checkup fill the query form and our team will get back to you.