A known killer which cannot be prosecuted is of course non-other than Coronary Heart Disease. There are other synonyms for Coronary Heart Disease viz., Coronary Artery Disease, Atherosclerosis, Heat Disease, Ischemic Heart Disease, hardening & narrowing of the arteries. But irrespective of the name the fact is that it remains the leading cause of death across the globe.
What is Coronary Heart Disease?
- As the name suggest, it is a disease related to the heart & arteries that supply blood to the heart
- Most commonly known as Coronary Artery Disease
- Arteries are blood vessels that supply blood to the heart
- Plaque is a substance that is made up of cholesterol
- Plaque creates a blockage inside the artery
- Process of building plaque leading to partial or total blockage of the artery is called as atherosclerosis
- Atherosclerosis causes less supply of blood & oxygen to the heart causing chest pain or angina
- Thus the most common symptom is angina for Coronary Artery Disease
- Over a period of time Coronary Artery Disease will make heart weak & cause heart failure
- Heart failure is a critical condition in which heart cannot pump blood effectively
Coronary heart disease causes
Improper lifestyle and hampered health are main causes of coronary heart disease. Below are few major coronary heart disease risk factors:
- Unhealthy diet containing high levels of cholesterol, trans fats & saturated fats
- Physically inactive
- High blood pressure of 140/90 mmHg or above
- High levels of Cholesterol in the blood; especially the Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) also known as the bad cholesterol
- Family history of heart disease
- Older age
Coronary heart disease prevention
Your lifestyle does matter in preventing Coronary Heart Disease. Few things that need to be done at your end are:
- Eating a healthy diet by avoiding all junk food
- Do not smoke or quit smoking if you are a smoker
- Exercise on regular basis
- Meet your physician for a regular health check-up
NHLBI Research on Coronary Heart Disease
Knowing the following basic can help to save life in Coronary Heart Disease.
- Lower high blood pressure
- Lower high cholesterol level by differentiating between HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) & LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins) cholesterol level
Being in world full of possibilities, we are prone towards good and bad effect of our surrounding. Regular health checkups help to access your health and predict various risk factors. Diagnosis of diseases at early stage provides you a support to combat disease and get effective treatment for better management.
Here we are to provide you with one stop solution with comprehensive checkup packages. We are team Indus Health Plus, the preventive checkup specialist.
We are just a click away if you wish to share a good word, clear any doubts, resolve concerns, receive health tips or to extend a suggestion.
Be healthy & Be happy!