The post here contains information on stomach cancer awareness, stages prognosis, causes, risk factors, diet, symptoms, prevention and screening methods.
Stomach Cancer Symptoms
Stomach cancer rarely shows any noticeable symptoms at an early stage. Some vague symptoms can be indigestion, loss of appetite and burning sensation in the stomach. As the cancer advances patient can experience fatigue, bloating of stomach after meals, weakness, constipation or occasional vomiting.
Stomach Cancer Causes
Scientists are still not sure of the real causes of the stomach cancer; however, a study on the stomach cancer cases reveals few common risk factors.:
- Smoking plays a major role in increasing the risk of developing cancer
- Obesity is also one of the key factors in developing cancer
- Genetics also contribute to stomach cancer
Types of Stomach Cancer
- Adenocarcinoma: It is the most common type of stomach cancer which accounts for 95% of stomach cancers.
- Carcinoid: Hormone producing cells can cause this cancer and is very rarely found in stomach.
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST): The epicenter of this cancer is specific nervous system cells found in the stomach.
Stomach Cancer Stages
There are four stages in stomach cancer.
- Stage 1: It can be further differentiated as 1A and 1B
- Stage 1A: The cancer may have spread into layer of tissue next to stomach wall.
- Stage 1B: The cancer may have spread into layer of tissue next to stomach wall and in nearby lymph nodes.
Stomach Cancer Prognosis
A study of survival statistics of people in similar conditions shows people who have survived at least 5 years after their cancer diagnosis were facing following stages of the cancer.
- Stage 1A- 71%
- Stage 1B- 57%
- Stage 2- 39%
- Stage 3- 14%
- Stage 4- 4%
Stomach Cancer Treatment
There are several treatments methods available for stomach cancer. It depends on what stage the person is diagnosed with the disease:
The doctor may remove a part of the stomach or the infected tissues surrounding by. If the cancer has advanced he may remove the whole stomach.
These drugs don't allow the cancer cells from growing and kills them. You may take this orally or through an IV in hospitals.
It is a mix of radiation (high energy waves) and chemo, which is often done before surgery to shrink the size of tumor.
These drugs target only cancer cells unlike chemo and radiation which harm healthier cells also. Many drugs such as Trastuzumab (Herceptin) is approved against stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer Prevention
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Avoid highly salted and smoked foods
- Avoid tobacco and limit alcohol
- Avoid getting employed in rubber and coal industry
Stomach cancer is common worldwide. Its initial symptoms are generally confused with less serious diseases and hence, the cancer is detected in much later stages. However, many healthcare providers like Indus Health Plus offer preventive health checkup packages which analyze your health in a much detailed way. Any infection or disease is picked up easily through such routine checks. To know more about the packages and screening, get in touch with us by filling the form.