As the name suggests, this cancer develops in the skin, most often in the part which are exposed to sun.
This article puts down the information about the skin cancer types, awareness, causes, symptoms, diagnosis, facts and prevention tips.
Skin Cancer Facts
Some skin cancer awareness facts
- The chances of treating skin cancer which found in early stage are 90%.
- The percentage of people suffering from skin cancer is higher than all other cancers combined.
- The most common skin cancer is basal cell carcinoma.
Skin Cancer Causes and Symptoms
There are no clear causes of skin cancer, however, some factors are known to increase the risk of developing the cancer. These risk factors includes:
For skin cancer detection a good knowledge of the symptoms of this disease is essential. Skin cancer has been categorized into three different types and the symptoms of the disease vary according to its types.
Basal cell carcinoma
- A pearly or transparent bump on skin
- A flat, flesh-colored or brown scar-like scratch on skin
Squamous cell carcinoma
- A knot - like bump on the skin that is firm and red
- A flat scratch with a flaking, crusted surface
- A bruise on the foot that does not heal.
- A color changing mole that seems like bleeding
- A small scratch with an irregular border and portions that appear red, white, blue or blue-black
- Dark cuts on palms, soles, fingertips or toes, or on mucous membranes lining mouth, nose, vagina or anus
Skin Cancer Risk Factors
There are certain factors that can result in skin cancer:
- Over exposure to ultra violet (UV) rays
- Pale skin that easily gets sunburned and doesn't get tanned (natural white/ blond skin)
- Exposure to coal tar, paraffin, arsenic compounds or certain types of oil
- Family history of skin cancer
- Numerous moles on body
- Old age
Skin Cancer Diagnosis
For the diagnosis of this cancer, doctors order these tests:
- Examination of skin to look all over the skin for any unusual mark or bump.
- The doctor would take out a small portion of the affected area and send it for testing in a laboratory for the presence of any cancerous cells.
Skin Cancer Prevention Tips
To prevent the cancer or the skin cancer effects, and to stay strong and healthy there are some tips that anyone can include in his/her daily routine:
- Avoid tanning: People who take special treatment to tan their skin increase their chances of this disease.
- Preventing the skin from sunburns or directly contact of UV rays
- Staying in shades during the time when sun's rays are the strongest (midafternoon)
- Sunscreen with sun protection or UV protection should be used to protect the skin
- Extra protection is needed near the snow or water, as they reflect damaging rays and increase the chances of sunburns
- Always have a healthy diet
- Consult your physician every year for regular checkup at least once in a year.
Skin cancer is a condition in which there is an uncontrollable abnormal growth of cells on the skin. It is easiest of all the cancers to diagnose and treat. Generally, it develops in sun-exposed areas of skin. Regular medical checkups from reputed health care providers like Indus Health plus helps in the early diagnosis and assessing the risk factors. If you are concerned about the skin cancer, fill below form and our team members will get in touch with you soon.