Although cold and flu infections mostly occur during the change of season, the viruses responsible for them are present all the time. Some people keep experiencing colds or flu from time to time. Getting sick from viral infections hamper daily life and activities. However, there a few ways to prevent oneself from getting infected.
Follow these 7 tips to avoid falling sick and maintain your health.
- Practice good hygiene: Wash your hands as many times possible with a good soap, for 20 seconds. Avoid touching your nose and eyes, if your hands aren’t clean or you just handshake someone. Nose and eyes are the most common entries for germs into your body. Follow a good bathing routine, along with using properly washed clothing and bedsheets.
- Sleep it out: You need to sleep more to fight off those viruses. When you are tired and sleep-deprived, your body can’t fight against them well.
- Add colours to your plate: Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, especially green ones can help strengthen your immune system. A strong immune system gives your body a better chance to fight cold, flu and other diseases.
- Exercise regularly: Staying active is a must to improve immunity. Plan different kinds of workouts that you like to keep the interest level high.
- Keep away from people with viral infection: Maintain distance so as to not catch and spread them further. If you need to interact with people who are infected, make sure you wash your hands and avoid touching your face.
- Avoid drinking excess alcohol: Alcohol is ineffective for cold and flu infecting viruses. Most of the times, it may worsen the symptoms of cold or flu. Moreover, alcohol dehydrates the body, thereby weakening the immune system.
- Quit smoking: Smoking cigarettes or the intake of tobacco increases your risk of viral infections by making changes in the respiratory tract and weakening your immune response. If you consume tobacco in any form, you should be regular with getting yourself checked regularly.
Apart from increasing viral infections, it causes several fatal non-infectious conditions that can be avoided/treated if diagnosed on time. Know more about the preventive health checkups that you can take to prevent diseases.