No matter what age group you are a part of, regular preventive health tests are essential for each one of us. The tests may differ from gender to gender. A health checkup for a senior citizen would be very different from those living in their 30s or 40s.
Being young does not guarantee a healthy you
Whether one is feeling fit from within or is still in his early years of life, a preventive health checkup is an important practice that one must inculcate in his or her daily life. Many who have availed preventive health tests and presumed that are healthy, were found with many different kinds of diseases dwelling inside them.
Tests for Young
It’s alarming to note that most of the lifestyle diseases have been found extensively amongst youth. Here are a few recommended health checkups for young people,
Irrespective of how young you are, it’s important to know if your heart is beating well and that your body maintains the right blood pressure
Eyes, Mouth, and Ears
It’s important to maintain hygiene and make sure that your eyes, mouth and ears are in good condition
Make sure that your cholesterol level does not rise above the normal range by eating too much oil and fatty stuff
- Blood Glucose: Know the sugar level in your blood
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN): Know amount of nitrogen in your blood that comes from the waste product urea
- Blood Creatinine: To make sure that your kidneys functions properly
- Blood Electrolytes: Electrolytes are minerals in your blood that carries an electric charge. You tend to lose these minerals when you sweat more. One must replace it by drinking enough fluids and other body fluids that carry an electric charge
A urinalysis provides a lot of information about your kidneys and urine and can even indicate disease in other organs as well
Know the electrical activity in your heart.
Cancer Screening Tests
To tests any kind of abnormal growth in the breast
Detects potentially pre-cancerous and cancerous possibility in cervix
Check for protein that is produced by the prostate gland due to prostate cancer
Occult Blood Test
A stool test is done to find possibility of cancer in large intestine
To check for tumor in anus, rectum and the lower part of the large intestine
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Chest X ray
No Doubt, Age is the Biggest Risk Factor
With ageing, our body also changes and requires extra care and maintenance. A checkup done during 30s may not show the same result in 50s or 60s. Therefore as the age advances, the checkups should be done more frequently.
Tests for Elderly
Here are few checkups as per age and gender that one should keep undergoing regularly.
- Blood pressure
- Stepping on the scales
- The rectal exam
- Other colon cancer screening tests
- Breast exam and mammogram - For women
- A pelvic exam and pap smear For women
- Protecting your eyes
- Hearing test
- Protect your bones
- Cholesterol screening
- Blood Sugar to detect diabetes
- Thyroid hormone test
- Looking for new moles
- Dental Exam
‘HER health’ is IMPORTANT
Women need to take extra care of their help, they being responsible for so many things inside and outside homes and tend to neglect their health along with.
Tests for Women
They must regularly for these tests.
- Breast exam to screen for breast cancer
- Skin self-exam to screen for skin cancer
- Dental Checkup
- Complete physical exam - This annual health checkup should include height and weight check, blood pressure, and blood tests that your doctor deems necessary like tests for blood sugar, blood count, hormone levels and other crucial infection markers.
- Cholesterol check
- Pap smear for cervical cancer
- Pelvic exam for internal genital abnormalities
- HIV & STD Tests
- Eye exams
- HPV test
- Thyroid test
- Colonoscopy - To screen for colon cancer
- Mammogram - At 50, start scheduling annual mammograms