Causes of Brain Cancer
The exact reason for the brain cancer is still unknown. If cancer originates in a tumour which is inside the brain, then it is known as primary brain cancer. It can spread to other nearby body parts and cause damage to them as well. The other type metastatic brain cancer also known as secondary brain cancer reaches to brain from another body parts, for example: breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer or blood cancer cells can form such brain cancer.
Symptoms of Brain Cancer:
Brain cancer symptoms may include:
- Double vision
- Coordination problem during working, walking and doing chores
- Mood swings
- Change in personality
- Loss of memory
- Trouble in concentrating
Brain Cancer Diagnosis:
If the doctor notices one or more symptoms in the patient, he might recommend MRI scans, biopsy to check if the tissue is cancerous or not. Sometimes, lumbar puncture is also done as a diagnostic procedure.
What is the Treatment for Brain Cancer?
- High doses of steroids to suppress the growth of cancer cells are one of the most common treatments given in the early stages.
- These steroids reduce the swelling and symptoms but do not have an actual effect on cancer.
- The next course of treatment is radiation therapy and/or surgery based on the cancer stage.
- Surgery is done to remove as much cancer tissues as possible. If the patient is having seizures because of cancer, then the doctor may prescribe anti-seizure medication as well.
Brain Cancer Prevention
Prevention of brain cancer is not possible as the causes are still widely unknown but regular health checkups can definitely help in determining the presence of cancer at an early stage, thus you will be saving a lot of treatment cost and associated pain and stress in the long run.
Many individuals and families make it a point to get to go for regular preventive health checkups as they help in giving the health update on regular intervals. Timely health initiatives keep you away from unforeseen health conditions and alert you to take a right medical advice and help if needed.