What is Thyroid Cancer?
Just like other cancer types, abnormal cells grow and multiply which affects the proper functioning of the gland. The cancer is usually detected in the early stages especially in the people who prefer to regular or annual whole body checkups.
What are the symptoms of Thyroid Cancer?Thyroid cancer symptoms may include:
- Lump or swelling on the neck
- Pain in the neck and sometimes in the ears
- Trouble in swallowing food
- Trouble in breathing properly
- Wheezing sound when you breathe
- Hoarseness in the sound
- Regular coughing even when you do not have cold
What are the causes of Thyroid Cancer?Thyroid cancer causes a number of associated problems like hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
- The scientists are yet not sure what may cause thyroid cancer. However, the studies have revealed the association of radiation therapy for cancer above the neck, with thyroid cancer.
- A rare type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer or MTC is genetically transmitted and runs in the family.
How is Thyroid Cancer Diagnosed?
In case you feel a lump on your neck, ensure you consult your doctor as it can be thyroid cancer. A biopsy of the thyroid gland can ascertain whether it is because of cancer or not.
Thyroid Cancer Treatment
Thyroid cancer treatment generally includes radioactive iodine therapy. In most of the cases, it does not need radiation therapy or chemotherapy. The age, health and the cancer stage play an important role in the type of treatment required. In some cases, the doctor surgically removes the gland.
Thyroid Cancer Prevention
Thyroid cancer prevention is slightly tricky. You cannot say that you will never have thyroid cancer. It is advisable to eat healthy and stay fit which will eventually improve the body immunity. With the healthy lifestyle is it of utmost importance to detect any particular diseased condition especially cancer in its early stage. This ensures timely diagnosis leading to effective treatment and management and possibly a complete cure. In case you have more queries about thyroid cancer and how to prevent it or want to know about the preventive health checkups, do fill the query form and we will get back to you.