Our diet and eating habits play a major role in deciding our cholesterol levels. Therefore, keeping a check on what you eat in addition to exercise and leading a healthy lifestyle, cholesterol levels can be well managed and kept at normal levels.
Some food items should be eaten in limit and some needs to be avoided totally if the cholesterol levels are on the rise.
How to Limit Cholesterol Levels
- Saturated fats and oils, such as butter and coconut oil. Instead, use margarine or vegetable oils, such as olive or canola oil.
- Limit fatty meats such as beef, ribs, steak, hot dogs, sausages, bacon, organ meats like liver and kidney and processed meats. Replace with skinless chicken, lean meat, and fish. Eat meat, poultry and fish to no more than two servings of a deck’s size.
- Egg yolks.
- Milk products containing more than 1% milk fat. This includes cream, cheeses, non-dairy coffee creamers and whipped topping. Instead try fat-free or low-fat milk (0% to 1% fat) and low-fat cheeses.
- Snack crackers, muffins, and cakes made with saturated or hydrogenated fat and whole milk.
How to Avoid High Cholesterol
- Trans fats or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and ghee. These things go through a process that makes them to solidify. They're found in chips, cookies and shortenings.
- Fast foods like hamburgers, fries and fried chicken. They are high in total fat and saturated fat. While eating out, choose sandwiches without cheese or mayo, chicken without skin, salads with low-fat dressing and foods which are not fried.
Controlling your blood pressure level is essential. If you have high blood pressure, then you need to follow some tips, which will help you reduce it. You can limit your cholesterol level through various ways. Following these tips can help you lead a good life. Even choose the option of getting a complete body checkup done regularly from reputed healthcare service provider like Indus Health Plus. It will surely help you in knowing your health status and cholesterol levels in a better way. Get in touch with us by filling up the query form.