At present, there is no prevention for type 1 diabetes. Although, prevention from diabetes (type -2) caused majorly due to lifestyle factors is possible, by undergoing simple lifestyle changes like achieving a healthy body weight and being moderately physical active.
Prevent Diabetes by A Few Simple Steps
Following are some tips to prevent diabetes:
Assess Your Risk of Diabetes:
Go for regular risk assessment to learn more about your risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Keep A Track of Your Weight:
as excess body fat may lead to type 2 diabetes
Get Moving and Say Bye Bye to the Television:
Physical inactivity promotes type 2 diabetes.
Tune in to a Healthy Diet:
Eat a balanced, healthy diet.
Goodbye to Smoking:
Smokers are twice as likely to develop diabetes as non-smokers.
Regular Health Checkup:
A critical part of management or prevention of diabetes
is getting routine tests and regular health checkup which help to identify problems at an early stage thereby helping to prevent complications.
World Health Organization (WHO) Facts
- The prevalence of people with Diabetes has been on a rise in low income countries.
- The total prevalence has risen from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014, with more prevalence in adults above 18 years of age.
- Diabetes is deadly disease since it remains as leading cause of blindness, heart and kidney failures and also lower limb amputations.
Diabetes Types and Causes
Diabetes is caused by the pancreas failing to make any insulin (type 1 diabetes) or insufficient levels of the hormone (type 2 diabetes).
Type 1 Diabetes:
- Mostly occurs in children and young adults, although it can appear at any age.
- Symptoms usually develop in short period of time
Type 2 Diabetes:
- Mostly occurs in middle-aged and older people who are obese
- Symptoms usually develop gradually and subtly
- Preventable and treatable
Diabetes Sign and Symptoms
Having a few sign and symptoms of diabetes doesn't definitely mean you have diabetes, hence, you should always consult your doctor.
Signs and symptoms of Diabetes include:
- Frequent urge to urinate, especially at night
- Strong thirst
- Feeling of tiredness
- Weight loss
- Genital itching or thrush
- Cuts and wounds take longer to heal
- Blurred vision
They key to preventing type 2 diabetes is by a healthy diet, exercise, maintaining a normal body weight and avoiding tobacco use. Apart from these tips, a critical step which everyone should follow is "regular health checkup" as it helps to detect any problems early on. As they say "there is no better time than now to start living healthy" so what are you waiting for? Now is the time to get your routine check done and ensure your good health!
Prevent diabetes easily by connecting with us at Indus Health Plus, a pioneer in preventive health check-up. To know more about your health status, simply fill the query form and our team will get back to you.