Some of the causes for thyroid disorders are as follows:
- Iodine deficiency
- Thyroid gland inflammation (due to a virus or bacteria)
- Autoimmune diseases (in which your own immune system attacks your body)
- Genetic disorders
- Medical treatments like thyroid surgery, radiation therapy and few medicines also lead to thyroid problems.
- Cancerous tumors on the thyroid
- Non-cancerous lumps or nodules inside the thyroid
Types of Thyroid Disorders
There are six main conditions associated with the thyroid gland
- Hyperthyroidism ‐ This condition occurs when the gland secretes more thyroid hormone than what the body requires.
- Hypothyroidism ‐ This condition is caused when the gland releases low levels of thyroid hormone.
- Hashimoto’s disease ‐ It is also known as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis.
- Grave’s disease ‐ It is an autoimmune disorder.
- Goiter ‐ Involves non-cancerous enlargement of thyroid gland.
- Thyroid nodules ‐ Nodules develop on or in thyroid gland.
Symptoms of Thyroid Disorders
The most common symptoms of thyroid disorders include:
- Poor concentration
- Menstrual changes
- Weight gain
- Heat intolerance
- High cholesterol levels.
With the help of regular preventive health checkups, doctors can detect early signs or development of the disease.
Thyroid Disorders Prevention Tips
Avoid Processed Food:A lot of chemicals can alter the thyroid hormone production. One needs to avoid any kind of processed food; they are on the edge of the thyroid disorder.
Avoid Soy:Limit the soy intake as it alters the hormone production.
Stop Smoking:The toxins released during smoking can make the thyroid gland over sensitive which can lead to thyroid disorders.
Reduce Stress:Stress is one of the major contributors in many health disorders including thyroid disease.
Diet for patients with thyroid disorders:
Follow below thyroid diet to avoid or prevent thyroid problems:
What to Take:Yogurt, seaweed, nuts, milk, chicken, fish, eggs, berries, cauliflower, and kale.
What to Reduce:Soy and soy products.
What to Avoid:Gluten, processed food, and fast food.
Thyroid disorders are easy to manage. With a little help from the medication and some easy lifestyle changes, you can easily live a normal life. Regular physical activity is very important to stay fit and healthy. Make sure to take a healthy diet and not miss out any medication. Furthermore, regular preventive health checkups can help keep an eye on our body’s nutrient levels and health status.
A quick Whole body health checkup will give you complete health status. In case you have more queries about the thyroid disorders or want to opt for a health checkup for your loved ones or yourself, do contact us via query form.